- 1 cup water
- 400g pitted dates, chopped roughly
- 150g butter
- 2 tbsp golden syrup
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup plain flour (or use gluten-free flour mix)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup golden syrup
- 50g butter
- 1 cup cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180c conventional bake, and grease either ramekins or a large baking dish with butter.
- Add the water, dates, butter, golden syrup and sugar to a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Stir, bring to the boil and let boil for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Leave to cool for 15 minutes or so or until warm.
- Add the baking soda to the date mixture and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Sift in the flour and cinnamon, and add the eggs. Stir the mixture until everything is combined evenly.
- Spoon the mixture into ramekins, to the top (or one larger pie or baking dish) and bake in the oven for 35 minutes (15 minutes longer if in a large dish).
- To make the caramel sauce, heat all the ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat until dissolved, stirring. Increase the heat, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer for 5-8 minutes or just until the sauce turns a lovely golden caramel colour.
- Pour the warm sauce over the pudding/s and serve with lovely cold creamy ice cream.
Recipe from Chelsea Winter Recipe section [link]