Peter Kuruvita ventures into some of the world's most fascination island communities, where he discovers the vibrant intricacies of island life, tradition, passion and flair behind local cuisines and customs. Available On Demand to NZ viewers for 30 days.
- 500g sashimi-grade trevally, trimmed
- 1 ripe but firm paw-paw, preferably red, peeled, seeded, quartered and cut into thin 2x3cm diamonds
- 1 large pomegranate, seeded
- 2 long red chillies, halved, seeded and cut into julienne
- 3 green spring onions, cut into julienne and placed in iced water
- 3 golden eschalots, finely chopped
- 1 telegraph cucumber, peeled, then cut into long thin ribbons using a vegetable peeler, core discarded
- 2 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 2 long red chillies, finely chopped
- Juice and zest of 2 limes
- 50g brown sugar
- 1 eschalot, finely chopped
- 1 bunch coriander roots, minced 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1 tsp soy sauce 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green spring onion, finely chopped
- For the dressing, place all the ingredients in a bowl, season to taste and combine well.
- Cut the fish into 5x15cm blocks, then thinly slice against the grain.
- Arrange the fish on a large serving plate and scatter all the other salad ingredients over the top.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve immediately.