Episode 18 - Jo Apanui
Type of Exercise: Hula Swag Fitness Poly Stylz
Intensity level: Medium impact
Instructor: Jo Apanui and the Hula girls
Bio: Jo Apanui is a mum, grandma of 3 month old triplets, has a day job but a woman who gets other women motivated and inspired.
The Hula Swag classes are held in Porirua, though instructors have taken a few months off with other family commitments however they are looking to start classes in summer.
Check your region for similar Hula classes.
Main exercise moves that feature in this episode:
- Kia mau = Ready-to-go
- Puti = Flower
- Waru = Figure 8
- Pana = Push
- Hikurangi = Arms up to Mt Hikurangi
- Hula is suitable for all ages – tamariki to kaumatua.
- Keeping our knee bent will take the pressure off your lower back, and help your sway your hips easier.
- Hula is a great way to work your whole body and increase your cardio fitness.
- To increase the intensity bend your legs lower.
- Hula is suitable for all levels of fitness slow movements down if your new to exercise.
- Maintain a beat you feel comfortable with - focus on correct technique then increase your speed if you want.