- 14 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 cups cream
- 4 vanilla pods
- 12 ramekins
- Boiling water
- 1 tsp sugar
- Separate 14 egg yolks from their whites and whisk the egg yolks together with the sugar.
- Slice open the vanilla pods and scrape out their seeds.
- Pour the cream into a pan over a medium heat and infuse the cream with the vanilla pods and seeds. Let the cream sit until it begins to bubble and remove it from the heat.
- Remove the vanilla pods from the cream before slowly adding the cream into the egg yolk and sugar mixture stirring constantly.
- Run it through a sieve into another bowl and with a spoon carefully remove the bubbles and froth from the top.
- Pour the brulee mix into your ramekins and place them in an oven proof tray.
- Pour boiling water around the tray to help the crème brulee bake through and with a kitchen torch blow away any excess bubbles.
- Cover the tray with foil and pop it in the oven at 150˙ for 32 minutes.
- Once done dust the tops of each crème brulee with sugar and caramelize the sugar with your kitchen torch until golden.
- Serve with your choice of ice cream and slithered almonds to garnish.
Log in to watch this video
If you don't already have an account, sign up free to enjoy all Māori Television's content OnDemand