- Small plastic water bottle
- Baking Soda
- 2x funnel – if you don’t have funnels you can roll up some paper like an ice-cream cone to make a funnel
- Using a funnel, pour about a third of a cup of vinegar into the bottle.
- Then insert another funnel into the mouth of the balloon. It’s best not to use the same funnel you used to pour the vinegar. Place two teaspoons of baking soda into the funnel so it falls into the balloon. When the balloon is filled with the baking soda, carefully remove it from the funnel
- Next, secure the mouth of the balloon over the mouth of the bottle. Take your time doing this and don’t let any of the baking soda fall out of the balloon and into the bottom of the bottle.
- While holding the bottle, lift the end of the balloon and allow the baking soda to drop into the bottle.
When baking soda (a base) and vinegar (an acid) are mixed together they create a chemical reaction that results in the formation of carbon dioxide gas!