Department of Immigration and Border Protection confirms 'disturbance' at Christmas Island Detention Centre

  • Australia

A spokesperson from the Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection has confirmed a 'disturbance' at the Christmas Island Immigration Detention Centre.

According to a written statement, the Department and its service providers are working together to resolve the situation.

It says it is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for detainees, and maintaining the good order of detention facilities.

The Department says no injuries have been reported and while they have received reports of damage, these are yet to be confirmed. 

The response goes on to say it would not be appropriate to make further detailed comments on matters that are subject to ongoing operations.

Earlier this morning Online news spoke with detainees on Christmas Island who reported they had taken over the detention facility.

One of the detainees claims rioting took place after the death of an asylum seeker at the facility.

He says, " it all kicked off, we have ripped the wall panelling off and pulled fences down and we are sick of being treated like this."

He says at this stage no one has been hurt but he and fellow detainees are fearful of what is going to happen next, "There isn't a guard in site at the moment but we are scared of whats gonna happen and have just had enough of all this punishment and too many boys are going to hospital."

Another detainee Riki Downes also told Online News this morning "We are all set up together and taking stock of what's going on here, we are sick of not being able to do anything, we wanna be with our families this stuff is just too much to bare."

Downes also adds "All the guards have taken off because there are too many of us, but the boys have cricket bats and poles and we are ready because we don't know what to expect, we are worried about whats going to happen next."

According to Labour MP, Kelvin Davis, he was contacted at around 4:30am this morning and told rioting was underway and they had taken over the facility.

Te Kāea and Native Affairs will have more on this developing story tonight at 5:30 and 8:30pm.