Ūpoko 6 - Porchetta - Pokai Poaka
- 2 kg boned pork shoulder /belly Pakihiwi/puku poaka
- Butcher’s string Tuaina a te pūtia
- 5 Garlic cloves Kāriki
- 3 tbspn toasted fennel seeds Kākano wheno
- 2 tbspn chilli flakes Titipi tiri maroke
- 1 tbspn sage Rauora
- 1 tbspn rosemary Rohimere
- 1 tbspn Horopito
- 1 orange Ārani
- 1 ½ tbpns flaky sea salt Tote moana
- 3 tbpns olive oil Hinu ōriwa
- 1 ½ tbpns ground black pepper Pepa kuoro
Mashed Potato per person Parareka pēpē
- 1 pinch of Kawakawa per serving of mash.
Side Salad: per person – Manga Mata
- 1 cup of Baby salad Rau mata
- ½ Raddish Rarihi
- ¼ Cucumber Kūkama
Method: for making Porchetta
- Remove the loin from the cut of meat.
- Pierce multiple times with a knife the skin side of the large piece of meat.
- Turn meat over and score with a crisscross pattern.
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in spice grinder
- Add oil
- Spread over the meat
- Cover and marinate overnight.
- Slice orange and spread flat on piece of meat which should be at room temperature
- Place loin in middle of the left over cut
- Roll up tightly and tie every 2cm.
- Roast on a rack in a roasting dish at 240c for 40 minutes
- Then reduce to 170c for 1-1 ½ hours.
- Once cooked, rest for 15 minutes
- Remove string, slice.
- Pre make mashed potato and once cooked add dried horopito.
More posts from this episode