Jump to navigation
Barbequed Butterfly Chicken
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3x large cloves finely chopped fresh garlic, then add ½ teaspoon of rock salt make a paste
- Large bunch of thyme - finely chopped
- Zest of 2x limes
- ½ a chopped onion
- Pinch crushed chilli flakes
- 1 whole chicken, butterflied
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup white wine (dry)
- Whisk together the oil, wine, half of the garlic / salt paste, half of the thyme, half of the lime zest and half of the onion in a large baking dish.
- Add the chicken and turn to coat in the oil.
- Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat the BBQ to medium.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Place the chicken on the BBQ, skin side down and slowly grill until the fat renders and the skin becomes golden brown and crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken over, close the BBQ cover and continue grilling until just cooked through, about 20 minutes longer.
- Remove from the BBQ, loosely cover with tin foil and let rest 10 minutes before cutting.
- Mix together the remaining garlic/ salt paste, thyme and lemon zest and sprinkle over the cut chicken.