Panzanella (Bread Salad)
- 1 slice rustic bread
- 2 tomatoes, ripened
- 1 red onion
- 1 piece of leek
- 1 telegraph cucumber
- 1 Mozzarella cheese
- 1 sprig basil
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- vinegar to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the bread into slices and soak in cold water for a couple of minutes.
- Once heavy with water, remove a little bread at a time and squeeze out excess water using your hands.
- Then break apart into small, dry crumbs.
- Place in a salad bowl and add tomatoes, cucumbers and sliced onion and basil leaves.
- Dress with oil, salt and pepper and move to a cool place.
- When it is time to serve, add a splash of wine vinegar.