Jump to navigation
- 1 large potato
- 200g aubergine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp parsley
- 180g minced beef 2 tablespoons butter 120g tinned tomatoes
- 20g tomato paste
- 40g butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 160ml milk (warmed)
- onion with cloves and bay leaf
- salt, pepper
- 80g breadcrumbs
- ½ cup grated cheese
- Peel the potatoes wash well.
- Slice the potato and aubergine into 1/4 inch round slices.
- Fry the potatoes both sides.
- Remove from pan and place on absorbent paper to soak up any excess oil.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and sauté the chopped onion, garlic fry the ground meat until browned, add the finely chopped tomatoes and paste, salt, pepper and parsley slowly bring to the boil then simmer until most of the juices are dried up.
- In another pot boil the milk with the cloves, onion and bay leaf.
- Mix together the flour and butter making a paste.
- When the milk has boiled remove from the heat add enough of the paste to the milk to thicken it.
- Return the pot to the heat and cook the sauce for a few minutes.
- Now place a tablespoon of the breadcrumbs on the bottom of a baking tray.
- Place half the potatoes and aubergines in a layer on the bottom of the baking tray.
- Sprinkle ½ of the grated cheese over the potatoes.
- Pour all the mince meat sauce over the potatoes and spread evenly.
- Finish with the rest of the potatoes in a layer over the meat sauce.
- Pour the white sauce over the top layer and cover completely.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and breadcrumbs and bake in the oven 180C for 30 minutes or until cooked – serve hot finished with a sprinkle of chopped parsley