Spanner Crab Kinilaw
Spanner crab salad
• 200g spanner crab meat, picked through for any shell
• ½ bunch of baby shallots, green part only, finely chopped
• Juice of 1 mandarin
• 50ml extra virgin olive oil
• 6 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely diced
• ½ bunch baby shallots, sliced
• Olive oil
• Juice of ½ lime
• 1 medium green chilli, seeded and diced
• 2 eschalots, finely diced
• 1 tsp brown sugar
• 100ml cane vinegar
• 100ml extra virgin olive oil
• 2 small mandarins, segmented
• 50g fresh seaweed or wakame
• 2 wing beans, sliced
• 4 zucchini flowers, torn into petals
• 1 Lebanese cucumber, thinly sliced
• 200g freshly grated coconut
1. For the spanner crab salad, combine all the ingredients in a bowl, then refrigerate until needed.
2. For the tomato concasse, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
3. For the chilli vinaigrette, place all the ingredients in a bowl and stir until the sugar dissolves, then set aside.
4. To assemble, using two tablespoons, shape the crab salad into quenelles and place in an S shape on a large white plate. Sprinkle the tomato concasse, mandarin segments, seaweed, wing beans and torn zucchini petals around the plate. Toss the cucumber in the vinaigrette, then place the slices on top of the concasse. Drizzle the whole plate with a little vinaigrette, scatter with coconut and serve immediately.