EPISODE 15 - Papatuānuku Pendant
Learn how to make a Papatuānuku Pendant.
- White oven bake modelling clay
- A bamboo stick
- An oven
- Blue and green paint
- First, soften the clay by squeezing and rolling it on a flat surface. This will make it easier to mould.
- Next, take a piece of the clay and roll it out so it’s about 5mm thick, then shape it into either a circle.
- Next roll small strips of clay, use them to make oceans and land of Papatūanuku– remember there are no rules so get as creative as you’d like here.
- Gently press your designs on to the pendant, then use the bamboo stick to make decorative lines.
- Make a hole in the topside of your pendant to thread a string through it.
- Then, place your finished pendant on a foil covered baking tray and follow the baking instructions of the modelling clay.
- Once it’s completely cool, take your blue and green paint and cover the ocean and land designs you’ve created. Lastly, thread the prepared hole with string.
- And there you have it, a beautiful Papatūanuku pendant that you can either wear yourself or gift to a loved one.