Tohutao: Ūpoko 9 - Chocolate Self-Saucing Pudding with Edmonds Custard
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 4 Tbsp Cocoa
- 100g Butter
- ¾ Cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 1 Tbsp Edmonds Fielder’s Cornflour
- 2 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 ¼ Cup Flour
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa
- 2 Tbsp Edmonds Custard Powder
- 2 tsp Sugar
- 2 Cup Milk
Method for Chocolate Pudding:
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C. Grease an ovenproof dish that will hold about 6 cups.
- Combine the brown sugar, cocoa and cornflour for the sauce.
- Cream the butter, sugar, egg and vanilla together. Sift the dry ingredients together and fold into the creamed mixture.
- Scoop the mixture into the dish and sprinkle with the dry sauce mixture, then carefully pour over the boiling water – hold a spoon upside down over the pudding and pour the water over it to stop splashing.
- Bake for 35 minutes or until the pudding springs back when lightly touched.
Method for Custard:
- In a saucepan mix the custard powder, sugar and ¼ cup of the milk to a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining milk and heat gently, stirring constantly until the custard boils and thickens.