Tohutao: "Harriets Brownie"
- 180g butter
- 180g dark chocolate
- 350g white sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 125g white flour
- 2 Tbsp cocoa
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I went with dark)
- Cream cheese (use the hard stuff - non-lite and non-spreadable is best)
- Grease and line a baking dish with baking paper. I used a rectangular brownie pan, approximately 30cm x 20cm. Preheat oven to 170*C (if your oven is particularly hot, you might want to turn it down to 160*C or 165*C).
- Break the chocolate into chunks, place in a saucepan and add the butter, cut into cubes. Add vanilla, and gently melt over a low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- In a bowl, crack the eggs. Whisk well, then add the sugar, then whisk well again until thick. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture. Add the flour, salt, cocoa and chocolate chips, and mix together well.
- Pour half the mixture into your prepared pan. Drop many teaspoons of cream cheese as you can fit all over the mixture, then pour over your remaining mixture to cover all the cream cheese up.
- Bake for between 50 minutes and an hour. Keep an eye on it in those last ten minutes - you want a perfect cracking on top, and you want it gooey on the inside but not too soft.