Join host Kahurangi Maxwell on Whānau Bake Off for exquisite kai and friendly whānau competition. Amazing bakers share their finest recipes, tastiest dishes and most useful baking tips but who will win the whānau bragging rights?
- 2 cups sultanas
- 250g butter, chopped in small pieces
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon essence or almond essence
- 3 cups Champion standard plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Edmonds baking powder
- Put sultanas in a saucepan.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain thoroughly.
- Add butter.
- In a bowl beat sugar into eggs until well combined.
- Add sultana mixture and essence.
- Sift flour and baking powder together.
- Mix sifted ingredients into fruit mixture.
- Spoon mixture into a greased and lined 20cm square cake tin.
- Bake at 160°C for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Leave in tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.