Join host Kahurangi Maxwell on Whānau Bake Off for exquisite kai and friendly whānau competition. Amazing bakers share their finest recipes, tastiest dishes and most useful baking tips but who will win the whānau bragging rights?
Spiced apple cake:
- 250 gm butter
- 3 - 4 apples (could also use pears)
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cinnamon (could I also have mixed spice avaliable)
- 1 cup sultanas
- icing sugar to use for dusting
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees. Grease the sides of a 26cm diameter cake tin and line the base with baking paper
- Melt butter in a large pot.
- Remove from heat and mix in apples and sugar then eggs.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sultanas, stirring just enough to blend evenly. It will be quite runny.
- Spread into the prepared tin and bake until risen and golden on top. About 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Allow to cook for 15 minutes before turning out and dusting with icing sugar. Can be served with cream or custard
Originally an Annabel Langbein recipe