Join host Kahurangi Maxwell on Whānau Bake Off for exquisite kai and friendly whānau competition. Amazing bakers share their finest recipes, tastiest dishes and most useful baking tips but who will win the whānau bragging rights?
Lemon Cake with cream cheese frosting...
- 2 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 cup of vege or canola oil
- 2 teaspoons of lemon essence or the juice of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon of lemon zest
- 1 8oz packet of cream cheese
- 3/4 of a block of butter
- 2 1/2 to 3 cups of icing sugar, more if required
- 2 tsp of vanilla essence
- preheat oven to 180 degrees butter and flour two 9 inch cake pans.. roughly 25 cm pan
- Sift flour and sugar into your mixing bowl stir to incorporate.
- Add your eggs, orange juice and oil, mix on a low speed for 30 seconds to combine, add the juice from a lemon or lemon essence and your zest. Mix for a further 2 to3 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour the batter half n half in each pan.bake for 30 to 35 minutes depending on your oven just check with a skewer at the 30 minute mark.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes then turn out cooling completely.
- For the frosting. whip the butter till pale then slowly add the cream cheese till incorporated and smooth, slowly bit by bit add the icing sugar till well incorporated, add more if needed to taste, add the vanilla and mix all together. Smother in between the two cakes all around and on top.. decorate with strips of lemon zest ;)