Join host Kahurangi Maxwell on Whānau Bake Off for exquisite kai and friendly whānau competition. Amazing bakers share their finest recipes, tastiest dishes and most useful baking tips but who will win the whānau bragging rights?
Prep time: 1 hour
Cook time: 20mins
Makes: 24 pieces
- 125grms butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup self raising flour
- 1 tin sweetened condensed milk
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- 115 grms butter
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp gelatine
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ tsp strawberry essence flavouring
- 2 drops of red or pink food colouring
125 grms good quality dark chocolate (i.e. 70% cocoa)
- Preheat an oven to 180C. Line a 20cm x 30cm tin with baking paper.
- Beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and creamy. Stir through the flour. Press mixture evenly into base of tin evenly. Bake for 20 minutes until cooked. Cool.
- To make the caramel, combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and heat gently. Once butter is melted, continue to cook the caramel at a medium heat stirring constantly to prevent sticking, for another 5 minutes. Spread evenly over base and allow to cool.
- Sprinkle gelatine over boiling water and stir to dissolve. Beat sugar, flavour, colour and gelatine on high with an electric beater for a few minutes or until the mixture is light, fluffy and nearly cooled. Spread over base. Set in fridge.
- When marshmallow is completely set, spread over the chocolate and return to fridge. Cut into pieces when cold