Merenia Lemon Cake
- 200g butter
- 1 cup caster sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 3 lemons
- 4 eggs
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium-high heat. Whisk the sugar, lemon rind and juice and eggs into the butter until well combined. Whisk continuously while the curd thickens and comes to the boil. Remove from the heat just as it is about to boil vigorously, and cool.
- When cold, store the curd covered in the fridge. It will thicken considerably in the fridge and will keep for 2-3 weeks.
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 4 medium eggs
- 2tbsp milk
- Finely zested rind of 2 lemons
For the syrup:
- 4 level tbsp. caster sugar
- 4tbsp water
- Juice 2 lemons
For the filling:
- 3 level tbsp. lemon curd
- Set the oven to gas mark 4 or 180C.
- To make the cake: Beat the butter. Add the remaining ingredients to it and beat until smooth. Divide mixture between sandwich tins, and level surface.
- Bake cakes in the centre of oven for 30-35 mins, or until they have risen and feel just firm to the touch in the centre.
Meanwhile to make syrup:
- Pour 4tbsp water into a small pan; add sugar. Place pan on a low heat and stir until sugar dissolves. Increase heat and bring mixture to the boil; boil rapidly for 1 min, then remove pan from heat and add lemon juice.
- When cakes are cooked, remove from oven and pour syrup over each one.
- Leave cakes in tins for about 10 minutes until syrup has soaked in then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut each cake in half horizontally, to give 4 layers in total. Sandwich together with 1 tbsp lemon curd spread between each layer.