Join host Kahurangi Maxwell on Whānau Bake Off for exquisite kai and friendly whānau competition. Amazing bakers share their finest recipes, tastiest dishes and most useful baking tips but who will win the whānau bragging rights?
- 125g butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups standard plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 75g butter
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 190C.
- Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder and ginger together, then mix into the creamed mixture.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board and knead well.
- Press dough in a greased 20 x 30cm sponge roll tin.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until light brown.
- Pour ginger icing over the cooked based while hot and cut into squares before it gets cold.
- In a small pot, combine butter, icing sugar, golden syrup and ginger. Heat until butter is melted, stirring continuously.