Join host Kahurangi Maxwell on Whānau Bake Off for exquisite kai and friendly whānau competition. Amazing bakers share their finest recipes, tastiest dishes and most useful baking tips but who will win the whānau bragging rights?
- 115g Butter
- 150g Plain Flour
- 130g Ground Almonds
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Slat
- 2 tsp Fresh Grated Ginger
- 1 Cup Dates (blended with ½ Cup Hot Water)
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- 1/3 Cup Sliced Almonds
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 180⁰C fan-bake. Line a 12-hole muffin tray with paper cupcake cases.
- Melt the butter gently over a low heat in a saucepan, stirring only occasionally with a whisk until the milk solids sink to the bottom and mixture starts to turn golden brown; this should take approximately 20 minutes. Allow to cool.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the dry ingredients and the ginger, then gradually add the brown butter, eggs, puréed dates and milk. Mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake cases – they should be about two-thirds full – then sprinkle each one with some of the sliced almonds.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until golden in colour and springy to the touch. They are ready when a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a cooling rack and dust with icing sugar when cool.