Matariki Awards 2017
- On demand
- Te Reo:None
LIVE from the Auckland War Memorial Museum, Friday 21 July, 8.30pm.
The Matariki Awards recognise Māori excellence across a wide range of disciplines – an opportunity to acknowledge and honour those individuals and organisations whose passion, innovation and dedication is making a difference to our communities and our country.
Below are the categories for the 2017 awards and which are named after the stars of the Matariki constellation – Ngā Whetū o Matariki:
- Te Whetū Maiangi Award for Young Achievers – inspirational rangatahi proactive in social and community situations, motivating and encouraging others.
- Te Ururangi Award for Education – trailblazers making a significant contribution to the development of mātauranga Māori or Māori knowledge.
- Te Waipuna-ā-Rangi Award for Arts and Entertainment – creative professionals leading the way in literature, performing arts, media arts or visual arts.
- Te Tupu-ā-Rangi Award for Health and Science – healthcare and science experts dedicated to improving the physical and mental wellbeing of New Zealanders.
- Te Waitā Award for Sport – extraordinary men and women excelling in the sporting arena both at home and overseas.
- Te Tupu-ā-Nuku Award for Business and Innovation – game changers in their field making an impact and driving our economy and society forward.
- Te Waitī Award for Te Reo and Tikanga – individuals championing the revitalisation of the Māori language and culture.
- Hiwa i te Rangi Award for Community – a new category in 2017 showcasing Māori groups and organisations that play a vital role in the social, economic, cultural and environmental prosperity of their rohe (region).
Nominations for the 2017 awards have now closed.