Kai Time on the Road explores the traditional foods and flavours of real people in Aotearoa.
- 1 large Pineapple
- 3 large Pawpaw
- 3 Bananas
- 4 passion fruit
- 1 cup of soft Brown sugar
- ¾ cup of water
- Vanilla essence
- 1 scoop of ice cream
- Remove the skin of the pineapple and cut into large pieces.
- Cut pawpaw in half then remove the black seeds from the centre with a spoon, cut off the skin then cut into large pieces.
- With the bananas make incisions with a knife along the curve part of the banana so that it will straighten out when you skewer it on to the kebab.
- Wooden skewers need to be soaked in water for at least half an hour prior to cooking.
- Then place fruit onto skewers and set aside.
- Place water into a sauce pan then add in sugar, cut passion fruit and add the flesh to the sauce pan, then two teaspoons of vanilla essence and lastly half a cup of finely cut pawpaw, continue to stir sauce pan while reducing liquid.
- Then place fruit kebabs onto a medium heat BBQ, once each side is slightly char the turn till fully cooked.
- Then place onto a large platter and drizzle fruit caramel over the top of the kebabs, then put ice cream into one half of a deseeded pawpaw and serve