Kai Time on the Road explores the traditional foods and flavours of real people in Aotearoa.
- 250g softened butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2x punnets of strawberries (500g)
- 3 tablespoons of cornflour
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Icing sugar to dust over the top
- Pre heat oven to 190.
- Grease your cake tin.
- Place butter, sugar, egg, orange rind, vanilla essence, flour and baking powder in food processor and blitz until combined.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into the prepared tin, and set aside 1/3 for the topping.
- Place 1x punnet of strawberries, cornflour and icing sugar into food processor and blitz until semi-pureed. Pour onto base, then chopped the remaining punnet of strawberries into quarters and spread evenly over puree mix.
- Lastly, place the remaining base mixture over the top in chunks for a rustic look. You may need to flour your hands for this part.
- Bake in oven for approx. 40 mins. Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar and vanilla ice-cream.