Hundreds are expected to gather outside the Wellington Railway Station at 11:30am today before marching to Parliament to present the NZ Land Wars petition.
The petition was put together by three Otorohanga College students who, after several excursions to pā sites within Waikato, believed a national day to commemorate New Zealand pakanga was well overdue.
Today they will present the petition in Parliament.
Below is a full rundown of the day's events, as per the information provided on the Petition to Commemorate NZ Land Wars Facebook page.
- 11.30am: Manuwhiri depart Wellington Railway Station, walking to Parliament grounds (road closed for 15 minutes – police escort to accompany roopu)
- 11.40am: Welcoming delegation to assemble on the lawn area in front of the Seddon statue to await for the manuhiri
- 11.45am: Manuwhiri (Petihana delegation) to assemble at the northern entrance to Parliament gates, to wait for the karanga
- 11.50am: Kaikaranga (to be confirmed) will deliver the karanga on behalf of mana whenua, welcoming the manuwhiri
- 11.51am: Manuwhiri Kaikaranga to respond, at the same time the manuwhiri will move towards the Seddon statue performing haka etc, pausing for a minute’s silence.
- 11.53am: Following the acknowledgement, a small group from the manuwhiri will move towards the paepae to hongi and hariru.
- 11.58am: Kura Moeahu, Kaiwhakarite of Parliamentary Services and spokesperson on behalf of Taranaki Whanui ki te Upoko o te Ika, stands to deliver his whaikorero.
- 12.30pm: At the conclusion of the whaikōrero, the students will then present the petition to Hon Nanaia Mahuta and Hon Chris Finlayson. As the petition is being presented a karanga will be delivered to acknowledge the handing over.
- 12.32pm: Once the petition has been handed over and the manuwhiri return to their seats, Kura Moeahu will bring the ceremonial proceedings to a close with a karakia.
- 12.33pm: Hon Nanaia Mahuta hands the petition to Moana Fuli to deliver the petition in the Table office for processing.
- 12.34pm: Invite the Honourable Nanaia Mahuta to speak
- 12.40pm: Manuwhiri are invited to proceed through both the security and rubber doors to make their way to the Grand Hall on Level 1 of Parliament buildings,
- 1.00pm: Speech of Welcome- Hon Chris Finlayson
- 1.05pm: Karakia kai – Kura Moehau
- 1.10pm: Launch Te Tapuwae Roa – Kaawhia Te Muraahi
- 1.40pm: Manuwhiri ushered into the house opposite Labour benches
- 2.00pm: Petition tabled in the house
- 2.15pm: Manuwhiri escorted from Parliament
- 2.30pm: Event closed
Te Kāea will bring you more on this event tonight at 5:30pm.