A 33-year-old man initially charged with the assault of an 8-month-old baby is now charged with murder after the baby died in Starship Hospital on Sunday.
The man appeared before the Hamiton District Court this morning charged with assault on a child and murder and will reappear before the High Court on the 8th of July.
Name suppression for the accused is still in place.
Te Kāea reporter Harata Brown was in court and says the man had a lot of family support present when he appeared and while he seemed nervous he was calm and collected.
She says when he was led out of court after the appearance his family members yelled to him that they loved him, to which he replied "I love you too."
The 8-month-old boy died after suffering critical head injuries following what was believed to be a domestic incident.
Emergency services were called to the property on Sunday and the baby was initially taken to Waikato Hospital, however he was later transferred to Starship Hospital in Auckland for specialist care.
According to sources, the baby has been returned to whānau and preparations for his tangihanga are underway.
Police released a statement earlier this morning naming the 8 month old baby boy however the court has now supressed that information,
Te Kāea reporter Harata Brown was in Court and will have more details tonight on Te Kāea.