The 'Pūtiki Māori Club' was a community enterprise where young Pūtiki Māori and other Whanganui River descendants came together to preserve their Māori heritage.
The original club known as 'Whanganui Club' was led by Koro Alfred Phillips, Koro John Murray and Kuia Wini Murray.
Formed in May 1952, under the wise guidance of Rev Kingi Ihaka, the Club's president Uncle Tenga Takarangi, and the kuia then, Tatiana Tamehana.
With their motto, 'Pūtikitia te Aroha' (Bind together in love), the group was one of the leading exponents of haka, poi and waiata of its era.
The Pūtiki Māori Club released an album in 1957, titled 'Maori Action Songs - 1'.
After a long recession, 2010 saw the revitalisation of kapa haka at Pūtiki Wharanui Marae, Pūtiki Whanganui.
Their mission statement now being, 'Pūtikitia te muka tāngata ki te iere tawhito o Te Paku o te Rangi' (Intertwine the many strands of people to the traditional sounds of Te Paku o te Rangi).
Since the last Aotea Regionals in 2012, the rōpū has suffered with a loss of two main tutors: Hoani Maniapoto and Tina Tapa, who were instrumental in the group's revitalisation.
Their loss has made a huge impact on the rōpū performing today, but because of their contribution to Pūtiki and the iwi, the rōpū bravely take the stage again to support the wider Aotea region.
This year, the tutors and leaders of Pūtiki Wharanui are Ned Tapa and Chrystal Hika.