Topic: Education

'Got a Trade Week 2015' to raise awareness of job training and careers in NZ

By Online News Team

Got a Trade Week 2015 is part of a national campaign to raise awareness of on-the-job training and careers in New Zealand's trade and services. 

The annual week, which starts on August 21 through to August 28 also celebrates the achievements of New Zealander's making headway in their respective job trades.

The 2014 Talent Shortage Survey, conducted by Manpower Group shows that engineers, technicians and skilled trades are a part of the top-five jobs employers have difficulty filling. Internationally, skilled trades are the highest in demand.

More than 34,000 New Zealand youth are not currently working, studying or training. They are not developing the skills they need to compete in the workforce.

The Chairperson of Got a Trade Week, Rachel Hopkins says “Only 20 percent of school leavers go to university. This event is about showcasing the opportunities that exist out there for the other 80 percent,” 

“This is an important conversation for job seekers, for educators and for whanau. Around the world, countries are looking to apprenticeships and on-the-job training to build the skills needed for the future. New Zealand needs this too.” 

For more information on Got a Trade Week, you can visit their website here

Share this: