Coconut Cupcakes with a Twist
This recipe is from: www.simplyrecipe.com but Katerina has added a few ingredients - she's put a note the recipe for you and the smiley faces indicate ingredients she has added to the original.
There is an image of the cupcakes below and she will be making the Medium size.
COCONUT CUPCAKES WITH A TWIST
- 3/4 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup of sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup of canned coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of coconut water ☺
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt(sea salt)☺
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 cup of sweetened desiccated coconut flakes
- Toasted Coconut Chocolate (Whittakers)
Coconut Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- 1/2 cup of butter room temperature
- I cup of cream cheese (1 package), room temperature
- 1/2-1 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup of sweetened desiccated coconut flakes
- Toasted Coconut chocolate (Whittakers)☺
- Preheat the oven to 175 degrees. Beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat again till light and fluffy, scraping down the sides halfway through to ensure even mixing.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating for 30 seconds each to ensure mixing. Be sure to scrape down the sides after each egg to ensure even mixing.
- Combine the flour, ☺sea salt, and baking powder in one bowl. In another add 1 cup of a well shaken can of coconut milk and☺ 1/2 cup of coconut water a teaspoon of vanilla. Add 1/3 of the dry ingredients and mix, then add 1/2 of the wet ingredients. Continue alternating with the wet and dry mixtures, ending with the dry. Stop mixing once just as the ingredients become incorporated; do not overbeat.
- Add in the coconut. Scoop into cupcake papers and placing a bar of ☺toasted coconut chocolate in the middle before pouring it until 3 quarters of the way full. Bake for 22-25 minutes, rotating the pan after the first 15 to ensure even baking. Be sure to check with a toothpick to see if the cupcakes are done. If the toothpick comes out of the cupcake clean, then they're ready. Allow the cupcakes to cool for a minute or two in the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Mix the butter and cream cheese together, about 3 minutes. Scraped down the sides and bottom.
- Slowly add the powdered sugar, taste as you go adding more sugar until you have reached the desired sweetness.
- Fold in the coconut. Spread onto cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle on a bit of extra shredded coconut on top along and also sprinkle some☺ toasted coconut chocolate and serve.