Ka whakanuia te angitū me te hiranga o te iwi Māori e Ngā Tohu Matariki.
Te Waitī Award for Te Reo and Tikanga is special recognition of individuals who are championing the revitalisation of the Māori language and culture and proactively increasing awareness and status of te reo Māori in New Zealand society.
- Value of contribution to New Zealand society and impact on the local community, region and/or nation.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding and commitment in a leadership capacity.
- Involvement in establishing and/or setting the direction of a not-for-profit group, organisation and/or cause.
- Value of contribution to the promotion of Māori language, culture and values across whānau, community, hapū and/or iwi as well as in the workplace with positive social, economic and/or cultural benefits.
- Clear vision for enhancement and adaption to best meet the needs of Education sector with te reo me ona tikanga.
- Evidence of innovative initiatives encouraging all New Zealanders to learn and speak te reo Māori.
- Length of service in the Māori language sector, paid and/or unpaid.
- Demonstrated guidance, support, training and encouragement of peers and/or future champions of the Māori language.
- Concerted effort in working towards quality goals and outcomes for the quality and appropriate use of the Māori language including dialectal variations.
- Proven participation in Māori language courses, forums, conventions and/or community activities such as wānanga.
- Must be a New Zealand citizen or hold a Resident or Permanent Resident Visa.
- Must be available to attend the Matariki Awards 2017 gala ceremony – Friday 21 July 2017.
- Past winners of this award are ineligible.