Ka whakanuia te angitū me te hiranga o te iwi Māori e Ngā Tohu Matariki.
Te Waitā Award for Sport is special recognition of a sportsperson or member of a sports team who demonstrates excellence in their discipline at a national and/or international level.
- Value of contribution to New Zealand society and impact on the local community, region and/or nation.
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding and commitment in a leadership capacity.
- Involvement in establishing and/or setting the direction of a not-for-profit group, organisation and/or cause.
- Value of contribution to Māori and non-Maori development of the sports sector with positive social, economic and/or cultural benefits.
- Length of service in the sports sector, paid and/or unpaid.
- Degree of difficulty in achievement and innovative, creative and thoughtful approaches to overcoming challenges.
- Concerted effort in working towards quality goals and outcomes.
- Demonstrated guidance, support, training and encouragement of peers and/or future sportspeople.
- Involvement in wider sports development and programmes at a community level
- Proven participation in sports courses, forums, conventions and/or community activities such as wānanga.
- Must be a New Zealand citizen or hold a Resident or Permanent Resident Visa.
- Must be available to attend the Matariki Awards 2017 gala ceremony – Friday 21 July 2017.
- Past winners of this award are ineligible.