Jump to navigation
Jump to content
Crete Honey and Lemon Cake
- 3 tbsp sunflower margarine
- 4 tbsp clear honey
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 2/3 cup skimmed milk
- 1 1/4 cups All purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup semolina
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F. Lightly oil a 7 1/2 inch square deep cake pan and line the base with non‐stick baking paper.
- Place the margarine and 3 tbsp of the honey in a saucepan and heat gently until melted. Reserve 1 tbsp lemon juice, then stir in the rest with the lemon rind and milk.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and nutmeg, then beat in with the semolina. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then fold evenly into the mixture.
- Spoon into the tin and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake for 25 ‐ 30 minutes, until golden brown. Mix the reserved honey and lemon juice and drizzle over the cake while warm.
- Cool in the tin, then cut into fingers to serve